Accéder au contenu principal

Berlin attack suspect Anis Amri killed in Milan

Berlin attack suspect Anis Amri killed in Milan

  • 23 December 2016
  • From the section Europe
Image copyright AP
Image caption The shootout took place in the Sesto San Giovanni area of Milan
The Berlin market attack suspect, Anis Amri, has been shot dead by police in Milan, Italy's interior minister says.
The man, who opened fire on police who asked him for ID during a routine patrol in the Sesto San Giovanni area in the early hours of Friday, was "without a shadow of a doubt" Anis Amri, Marco Minniti said.
One police officer was injured in the shootout but his life is not in danger.
Monday's attack on a Berlin Christmas market left 12 dead and 49 injured.
When police stopped the suspect, who was on foot, at 03:00 (02:00 GMT), he "immediately drew out a gun", Mr Minniti said.
Officer Cristian Movio was injured in the shoulder.
His junior colleague, Luca Scata, who has been in the police for just nine months, was the one who fired the shot which killed Amri.
Image caption German federal police have released images of Anis Amri
The fingerprints of the dead man match Amri's, reports in the Italian media say.
German officials have confirmed Amri's fingerprints were found inside the truck that was used in Monday evening's attack.
The attack took place at a Christmas market at the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in the west of the German capital.
Investigators are trying to establish whether the gun used in the shooting in Milan is the same weapon used to kill the Polish driver of the truck, who was found dead with stab and gun wounds in the cab.
Media captionThe BBC's Bethany Bell reports on what is known about the shooting.
According to the Italian news agency Ansa, Anis Amri had travelled by train from France to Turin, and then taken another train to Milan.
From the central station he travelled on to Sesto San Giovanni, a working-class area. He was on foot when he was asked to show his documents, Ansa reports.
Image caption Police officer Cristian Movio was injured in the shoulder in the shootout
Amri, a Tunisian national aged 24, had served a prison sentence in Italy after being convicted of vandalism, threats and theft in 2011.
He was known to Italian authorities for his violent behaviour while imprisoned.
After his release he was asked to leave the country. He arrived in Germany where he applied for asylum in April of this year.
He was named as a suspect in the Berlin attack by German federal prosecutors, and a reward of up to €100,000 (£84,000; $104,000) was offered for information leading to his arrest.
Image caption Mourning continues at Breitscheidplatz in central Berlin, where the attack took place
Image caption The lorry's Polish driver, Lukasz Urban, was found dead in the passenger seat
A spokesman for Germany's interior ministry said it was "relieved that this person no longer poses a danger", should it prove true that Amri had been killed.
Tobias Plate would not comment on reports in the German media that Amri had been filmed at a mosque in Berlin in the hours after the attack.
Separately, police arrested two people in the German city of Oberhausen on suspicion of planning an attack on a shopping centre.
Mr Minitti praised the two police officers who had apprehended Amri, and said the operation showed how Italy's security system was working well.
"As soon as this person entered our country, a fugitive wanted across Europe, we immediately identified him and neutralised him," the minister said.

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Coupe du monde dames - Semmering/1er géant: Shiffrin la plus vite

Coupe du monde dames - Semmering/1er géant: Shiffrin la plus vite Par AFP Publié le 27-12-2016 Modifié le 27-12-2016 à 11:39 L'Américaine Mikaela Shiffrin dans le slalom de Sestrières, Alpes italiennes, le 11 décembre 2016 AFP/Archives L'Américaine Mikaela Shiffrin a été la plus rapide mardi de la première manche du slalom géant de Semmering, une reprise de l'épreuve de Coupe du monde de ski alpin annulée à Courchevel il y a une semaine, la Francaise Tessa Worley signant le 5e chrono. En 59 sec 91/100e, Shiffrin, leader du classement général a devancé les Italiennes Manuela Mölgg et Marta Bassino de 27 et 49/100e. Ces dernières ont sauvé la Squadra après les éliminations de Federica Brignonee et de Sofia Goggia, qui a manqué la dernière porte. Tenante du gros globe de cristal, la Suissesse Lara Gut a concédé 1 sec 36/100...

Le Maroc autorisé à disputer les CAN 2017 et 2019 de foot

Le Maroc autorisé à disputer les CAN 2017 et 2019 de foot Par RFI Publié le 02-04-2015 Modifié le 03-04-2015 à 11:04 Le Marocain Mehdi Benatia. AFP PHOTO /FADEL SENNA Le Tribunal arbitral du sport (TAS), juridiction indépendante basée à Lausanne, a annulé en grande partie ce 2 avril les sanctions prises par la Confédération africaine de football contre le Maroc. Les Marocains avaient refusé d'organiser la CAN 2015 aux dates prévues, par peur d’Ebola. Le TAS autorise donc l'équipe marocaine à disputer les Coupes d’Afrique des nations 2017 et 2019 dont elle avait été exclue. C’est un énorme camouflet pour la Confédération africaine de football (CAF) et une grande bouffée d’oxygène pour le foot marocain. Le Tribunal arbitral du sport (TAS), une instance indépendante basée en Suisse, a annulé la majeure partie des ...

Football féminin: Lyon recrute la star américaine Alex Morgan

Football féminin: Lyon recrute la star américaine Alex Morgan Par Annie Gasnier Diffusion : mercredi 21 décembre 2016   Le tir croisé d'Alex Morgan fait mouche. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach ...